Saturday, May 5, 2012

Carambola Golf Course

The morning started out bright and shiny at the Carambola Golf Course. The reflections in the first pond I drove past were captivating and there was an egret standing under a small palm tree, beckoning me to paint it.
I drove up to the clubhouse and checked out the sugarmill and golf course, to see if anything else caught my eye.
I decided to drive back to the first golf pond and try to paint that egret along with the pond reflections. Of course, the egret was gone by the time I'd set up my gear but I spotted some pelicans in the trees nearby. Who woulda thought pelicans hung out at a golf pond? After all this time on St. Croix, I'm still learning new things! Around 10:45 I noticed rain clouds in the northeastern sky and decided to drive my car to a spot nearby, just in case. Sure enough, within 10 minutes the rain began and it rained hard enough for me to pack up my painting gear and stuff it all into my car. I sat in my car, patiently hoping it would soon clear up. Around 11:15, the rain finally stopped and I noticed that two pelicans had flown to the tree tops that hung over the pond.
Soon one of them spread its wings and posed for me. How could I resist getting my painting stuff out again and adding this proud prima donna to my painting?
When I got back to the club house, I found out that only five of us stayed until "show and tell." Everyone else left when the rain's threatened. We still had a good viewing and I was glad I'd persevered. Sandy's
Jan's
Debbie's
Ginger's
Elwin's
Three of us stayed for lunch. While we were eating, there was literally a "white-out" of rain that drenched the clubhouse for at least an hour!
Ginger

No comments: