Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Alexis Lavine Workshop Day 1

Some Chenay ginger cats joined us for a bit.
Today was the first day of Alexis Lavine's 3 day painting workshop at Chenay Bay. Our group is small.. there are only about 10 of us... so we are really being treated to a lot of individualized attention. It was blustery and rainy when I woke up this morning and I made sure to pack my jacket, umbrella, and an extra set of clothes, along with all my painting stuff. By the time I got to Chenay, the sun was shining and the day looked promising. It turned out to be a lovely day and the nice breeze that wafted through Chenay's outdoor restaurant kept us comfortable. This workshop focused on how to paint from photographs. Although we specialize in painting plein air, most of us also paint studio pieces. The first thing we learned was to NEVER use someone else's photograph as the basis for one of our paintings... Of course, we all know this but some reinforcement of it and the possible repercussions for those who ignore the rule was helpful. The day passed surprisingly quickly and we not only learned some very valuable information but we were also able to begin painting and apply what we'd learned. I feel like I've already learned some very useful stuff...wonder what we'll learn tomorrow?
Ginger

No comments: