Saturday, May 30, 2009

Palletteers return to Est. Mt. Washington

I love this one... Melissa caught us in action as the third shower of the morning took us by surprise. As Brenda ran to protect her watercolor I dug in my heels determined to finish my oil painting!


Work in progress... can't wait to see the finished painting!

Why do we love painting at Estate Mt. Washington? Let me count the reasons: 1: it's a restored sugar plantation plus an orchard so there are almost too many things to paint; 2: it's a nature preserve so we're surrounded by the subdued "sounds" of nature at its best; 3: it's private, yet public so the amenities are there along with the solitude; 4: it's tree filled and lush and there's almost always a breeze to be found; 5: there's shelter in case of rain. Have I listed enough things yet? So, once we arrived, we chatted a bit before sorting through all the subject-enticements. One of the topics of our "chatting" was a news article we'd received from Palletteer Alexis Levine about a plein air group she painted with in North Carolina. The time constraints of painting plein air had been mentioned in the article (the Palletteers are limited to about 3 hours to paint) and narrowing one's focus had been suggested. So several of us, myself included, had this in mind when choosing our painting subject. Unfortunately, the plein air gods weren't totally with us for the morning and we had to run for shelter from sudden rains several times. Also, summer's arrived on St. Croix and it was unusually hot.. really hot! In additon to this, some hungry ants found me and invaded the spaces in my Mary Jane Crocs to sample me for breakfast. But in true plein air fashion , we all painted on! Yay for us! It turned out to be a great painting morning for each of us and we were all really pleased with our results. Lunch afterwards at Sunset Grill topped off a great Palletteer morning!
Ginger

No comments: